While fixing a malfunctioning garage door, understanding the mechanism of the garage door and learning how it works is extremely essential. Any type of mechanical contraption has a tendency to malfunction due to frequent use. Even garage door tends to create issues after some times and break due to continued operations. Thus, a garage door needs periodic maintenance services and occasional repairs. See site to get a brief guide that will explain the mechanism of the automatic garage door and ways to keep it functional in a long run.
How automatic garage door works? There are two important parts of the garage door, one is the garage door itself and the other is an operating system that helps it to open and close. Most of the common garage door problems that crop up with the automatic garage door are because either of the two is not functioning well.
Garage door repair tips and techniques: When the overhead garage door rolls up or swings upward, a set of torsion springs generate and release the stress to operate the garage door. These springs also work to counterbalance the weight of the garage door while opening and closing. Special metal tracks are placed on both sides of the garage door to make it move upward or downward smoothly. In case, your garage door starts creating horrible sounds or does not run smoothly, the issue lies with the traction. Following mentioned are some helpful tips and techniques:
- Make sure that the metal tracks of the garage door are in a good working position. These tracks should be mounted securely with the hinges. You should also inspect them thoroughly to look for the signs of damages like, flats, dents, and crimps. If you find damages, use a wooden hammer or a rubber mallet to straighten them out. If they are damaged badly, consider replacing them.
- Check the alignment of tracks and springs. Both tracks that are placed on both sides of the garage door should be aligned with each other. If you find any discrepancy, lose the screws and nuts of the tracks and place them back into their original position. You will have necessary tools such as, spanners and screwdriver to fix them.
- Make sure that all the moving hardware and springs need to be lubricated. You may use any high-quality oil or grease to lubricate them every once a month. They help the garage door in easy and smooth movements. After oiling the components, clean the tracks, rollers, and other moving hardware using a damp cloth. If they seem rusted or worn out, then they may be no longer respond to simple garage door repair and need a replacement immediately.
- Check the garage door itself to find out more damages. Your garage door may be coming off the tracks or sagging to one side because it is not sturdy anymore. If your garage door is in a poor working position or damaged badly, you need to replace the whole garage door. Always buy a new garage door in such conditions.
- Make sure that there is no obstruction in the pathway of a garage door. Automatic roll-up garage doors tend to jam when there is obstructed path of closing the garage door. You may use a flashlight for the detailed examination of the garage door. Normally, the garage door will open halfway and then stop.
Caution: don’t attempt garage door repair on your own especially the garage spring replacement task. Get a professional garage door service to repair or replace any faulty part of a garage door. Any of the components that need replacement should be done under the supervision of an expert. Highly tensed parts can be extremely dangerous and even injurious.